The Oracle Names utility namesctl or namesctl.exe on WinNT starts the Names
Service. It can also be started from the Services page of the control
panel.  The names.ora file contains the configuration information as well
as sqlnet.ora. The Net8 Configuration Assistant can be used to configure
the Name Server and place entries in sqlnet.ora and names.ora. The services
on server2 and server3 use the database as a repository. Multiple name
servers can be supported by a single repository.

RWB

[EMAIL PROTECTED]@fatcity.com on 02/21/2003 10:34:41 AM

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To:   Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc:

Hi DBAs,

Oracle 8.1.6 WinNT
I am trying to understand how Oracle Names is configured.  We have a Oracle
Names database on server 1.
We also have 2 other oraclenames services on server 2 and 3.  I understand
how server 1 was created and works.
What I do not understand is the services on server 2 and 3. How they got
created,etc.  Server 2 and 3 are in the
sqlnet.ora file.  My question is what oracle utility is used to create
those services and how they are configured to work with
the database on server 1?

Thanks
Rick