OK, I finished my top 10 do's and don'ts... I'll put my list in another post
for anyone to comment on.

THEN I looked at your list Rachel.

I had some of yours on mine, but I actually disagreed with you about
autoextend.
I've had this argument with others before, and here is my POV:

1. In development and test, I agree there is no need for autoextend.
2. In a production environment, I say that all tablespaces are autoextend.
All of them.
   I allow them to grow to a reasonable size, and monitor for them to
extend. How do I
   monitor them? Glad you asked. I set the tablespace to extend such that
there is never
   more than 1% free space available in the tablespace. I have my monitoring
software
   keep an eye out for tablespaces at 19% empty, 10% empty and 5% empty. So,
if I get
   an autoextend situation, I am notified by my monitoring software, but the
application
   can continue.

   So, what if there is some run-away process? Well, thats where maxsize
comes in. I
   will only let the datafiles grow so large. I usually give them enough
room for what
   I would consider to be 3 months worth of normal growth.

   Of course, the very best thing to do is to allocate space *before* it's
needed, but
   there are times when space estimations come up short, and rather than
have a production
   problem I'd rather allow the datafiles to grow by some reasonable size.

   Of course, resumable space management in Oracle9i is a big helper here
too!!!

Robert

Robert G. Freeman
Technical Management Consultant
TUSC - The Oracle Experts www.tusc.com
904.708.5076 Cell (It's everywhere that I am!)
Author of several books you can find on Amazon.com!