-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 9:04 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

I have to admit my list is considerably smaller:

DO:

#1: Listen, Think, Learn, Communicate
#2: Have a passion for what you do.  If its "just a
job", then you're in the wrong one.

DON'T:
#1: Do the opposite of the Do's

Cheers
Connor

 --- Rachel Carmichael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You brought to mind another one... DON'T assume that
> changes in one
> environment will have the same impact across all
> environments so DO
> test the impact of any change in all environments
> that you can, before
> implementing it in production. We had a change go in
> to the dev
> environment that fixed the performance problem
> there. Unfortunately, it
> made performance fall through the floor in test,
> which was closer to
> the production environment in data volume.
> Fortunately it was caught
> before it went into production.
>

> --- Cary Millsap <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > You guys are very kind, thank you.
> >
> > My "LIO vs PIO" thesis is this:
> >
> > 1. Too many PIOs *is* a bad thing.
> > 2. But eliminating unnecessary PIOs isn't enough.
> Even completely
> > memory-resident databases can perform horribly
> (not scale, consume
> > dozens of hours per query, etc.)
> > 3. If you begin by eliminating unnecessary LIOs
> first, then you often
> > eliminate all the PIOs you needed to eliminate, by
> side-effect.
> >
> > About the Top-10 list, I'll add...
> >
> > DON'T "do something to make the system faster"
> until you understand
> > the
> > impact that your proposed activity will have upon
> the response time
> > of
> > your important user actions. (Some proposed
> activities create
> > negligible
> > impact, and some even create negative impact. When
> you try those
> > activities that don't create sufficient *positive*
> impact, then you
> > *waste* your company's resources.)
> >
> > DO learn how to figure out--quickly, accurately,
> and
> > inexpensively--the
> > impact of a proposed activity upon end-user
> response time.
> >

> > Cary Millsap
> > Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
> > http://www.hotsos.com
> >
> > Upcoming events:
> > - RMOUG Training Days 2003, Mar 5-6 Denver
> > - Hotsos Clinic 101, Mar 25-27 London

=====
Connor McDonald
web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=

Author: Freeman Robert - IL