-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 2:51 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

The 'hide.c' program can be implemented and compiled to prevent
parameters from appearing to ps.  I believe it still works properly on
most flavors of unix.

For the "Perl for Oracle DBA's" book we wrote one utililty that I had
wanted for some time, a password database.

For jobs that I plan to run regularly from cron, I use the password
daemon pwd.pl and retrieve the passwords across the network
( encrypted with MD5 ).

If the job is a Perl script ( fairly likely around here ) the password
can't appear to PS,  as no password is ever used on the command
line.

It's handy for command line stuff as well, as I only need rights to
access the password database via the password daemon.  I don't
have to know the database passwords to login to the account.

e.g. sqlplus system/$(pwc.pl -instance dv01 -username jkstill)@dv01

This is the single most useful utility we put in that book IMO.

Jared