Hello,

> I'm reading that win2k supports shutdown scripts (w/the group policy mmc
> snap-in).  Is anyone using these to shutdown their win2k-hosted oracle
> databases?  Right now our netadmins are running shutdown scripts as a
> manual
> step, but if it's susceptible of scripting, we'd like to do it that way
> instead.  Are there any gotchas?

I have a TAR open with OSS regarding the shutdown behaviour of 8.1.7.x on
Win2K.

We have several Win2K servers running 8.1.7.3 or 8.1.7.4 which do not
stop the database correctly during a server reboot. Investigation has
shown that while a 'net stop oracleservice<DB_NAME>' command entered
into a command prompt completes successfully, shutting down / rebooting
the server without first stopping the database service results in an
instance recovery having to be performed during startup.

The alert log shows that during a shutdown / reboot, there is *no*
attempt made to stop the database. I have configured the servers and
databases according to the various Metalink documents and the settings
have been verified by OSS.

This behaviour only occurs on our Win2K servers that run 8.1.7.3 and
8.1.7.4: other Win2K servers that run 8.1.7.2 and earlier do not
exhibit the problem. Interestingly, we do have a single Win2K/8.1.7.4
server that does stop the database correctly during a server shutdown /
reboot.

OSS have recreated the error using 9iR2 on Win2K and have reported that
the database stop during a server shutdown / reboot appears to work more
reliably on NT. Investigation by Oracle Development suggests that the
problem lies with the Service Control Manager (SCM) in Win2K that handles
the starting and stopping of the system services.

OSS have advised me to get in touch with Microsoft to persue the matter
further. I have (unsuccessfully) attempted to persuade OSS to liase with
Microsoft directly but they have so far refused. I digress ...

Finally, to answer your question, a workaround provided to me by OSS is
to use the Group Policy Editor to have Win2K run a VBS script during a
server shutdown. The code provided is:

Return=WshShell.Run("sqlplus ""shutdownusr/passwordl as sysdba"" @C:\orashut",
1, true)

I received the code only yesterday and as yet haven't tested it. As I
would rather not have a password held in a text file on the server, I
first plan to test the use of the GP shutdown script with the 'net stop'
command (as described above) as this works correctly interactively and
obviates the need for a user id and password to stored in a file.

Before testing the use of the GP shutdown script, I advise you to
investigate if the database(s) on your Win2K server are stopped
correctly during a server shutdown / reboot. If the databases are
stopped in the correct manner, then it is one less thing for you to
worry about :)

I'll do some of my own testing with the GP shutdown script and post
feedback to the list. Please note that it will take me some weeks to
provide the feedback as I am about to start a major installation of
a new set of databases and servers for a customer of ours. I just
love those night shifts and long hours ;)

---
nigel.

Author: Nigel Cemm