> Subject: Oracle Service on Win2k
>

> Hi list
>
> On Oracle 9.2.0.3.0 (patched from 9.2.0.1.0 ): When i start
> JUST the service
> OracleService<SID>, most of the times, the database will also
> be mounted and
> opened !
> Doesn't matter wether I start the service via gui or via "net start
> OracleService<SID>" or "oradim  -STARTUP -SID <SID> -USRPWD
> <PWD> -STARTTYPE
> srvc", the database will be opened right away.
> I definitely don't want that.

Out of sheer (sick?) curiosity - why wouldn't you want that?

What happens if "manual-start-up-preferring" DBA goes on 2 week
vacation and server gets rebooted as a result of prolonged power
failure? Consequence will be - the database will not re-open
automatically as it was specifically "told" not to do so...

Having seen results (utter panic striking one of our customers)
I always wondered what could have possibly been the motive or
rationalization for setting things up this way in the first place.

Branimir
Author: Branimir Petrovic