I've never had to set an event to get a deadlock trace file. The fact that the alert log indicates a trace file tells me that it wrote (or thinks it wrote) the file.

I just tested this on a 9.2 Win2k plain vanilla db and it created the trace file as expected.

I am well known for mixing up words in strings, so I always doublecheck the file path and name. Could the device that includes the udump directory be full?

--
Daniel W. Fink
http://www.optimaldba.com

Gogala, Mladen wrote:

Actually, I've had a TAR like that. You must set "60" event at the system level to get the trace file. On the other hand, if a single open
trace file was removed while being written to, then no trace files will be
written to until the instance is restarted. That happened with 8.1.7.1.0
on HP-UX 11/64bit

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA
Phone:(203) 459-6855
Email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-----Original Message----- Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 1:16 PM To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

We have one but that process does not hit bdump.

-----Original Message----- Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 10:10 AM To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Any chance there is a scheduled process that goes out and cleans up files in the *dump directories?

Author: Daniel W. Fink