Couldn't agree more. We need to stop using StatsPack for gathering lots and lots of stats we can't use for anything anyway. When two experts can look at the same summary data and get to different conclusions you're not gathering data at the correct level. It's sort of like the economists that will study the reams of data about GDP, GDI, money supply 1 thru 6, and what have you - and arrive at complete opposite conclusions. Same with bstat/estat, StatsPack, our own MirMon, etc.

Mogens

DENNIS WILLIAMS wrote:

Boris - I'm not surprised in your results. I wouldn't describe STATSPACK as
"brutal", but it is a significant hit, so you wouldn't want to start doing
snaps at 1 second intervals. STATSPACK does collect a LOT of data, and you
can adjust the amount of data collected with the level if you feel the need
to reduce the brutality. If you find you only need a few pieces of
information, you could write your own routines to collect just what you
need.
I have no idea why your system mode sees an impact. Perhaps someone who
has more systems experience can venture a guess. You might try several
measurements just in case you caught the system at a bad moment.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-----Original Message----- Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2003 4:05 PM To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

As subject line indicates standard (level 5) snapshots make "vmstat 1" or "sar -u 1 100" show 100% CPU utilization (75% system mode) for about 3 seconds.

Is this normal? Is statspack that brutal on CPU? And
why would that be a system mode primarily?

Environment:

Oracle 9.2.0.2 on Mandrake 9.0
(2.4.19-16mdkenterprise)
2.4GHz uniprocessor P4 box, 1GB SDRAM