Sorry for wasting bandwidth - found the answer 5 minutes later (found it by looking up "histograms" in the manual, not "DBMS_STATS"):

For those who want to know - a hidden column is an expression for a function based index. Therefore you can use this option to gather stats when using function based indexes.

- Bill.

Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 14:42:31 +0100
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: Bill Buchan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hidden Columns

Hi all,

I know this is RTFM but I can't find the right part in the FM to R. So any help would be appreciated:

In the context of:

DBMS_STATS.GATHER_DATABASE_STATS(method_opt=>'FOR ALL HIDDEN COLUMNS');

what is a "hidden column". I tried gathering stats FOR ALL HIDDEN COLUMNS and it didn't seem to gather any stats for any columns. What is it meant to do?

Thanks
- Bill.

PS. The complete syntax for the column is: FOR ALL [INDEXED | HIDDEN] COLUMNS [size_clause]

-- Intasys Billing Technologies Ltd. www.intasysbilling.com 74 Commercial Street, Commercial Quay, Leith, Edinburgh EH6 6LX tel (0)131 625 8200 fax (0)131 625 8201 email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Author: Bill Buchan