rgaffuri,
Ok let get down to the algorithm of SOUNDEX.
As I reminisce, this is what SOUNDEX does:

A. It keeps the FIRST letter in the chain of characters and REMOVES all
vocals that follows: a, e, h, i, o, u, w and y.
B. It assigns the numbers to remaining letters as follow:
     1 = b, f, p, v
     2 = c, g, j, k, q, s, x, z
     3 = d, t
     4 = t
     5 = m, n
     6 = r
C. If the sequence contains 2 or more numbers, all are replace except the
FIRST one.
D. It returns the first 4 bits, padded with zero (s).

NOTE:
 1. Soundex is case in-sensitive
 2. The first 5 consoles are used to find the value returned for comparing.

This is what I know about this algorithm and probably what Oracle used to
write SOUNDEX...

Does this helps you ?

Regis