Good one. The I in RAID started out as Inexpensive, but is now Independend - for obvious reasons :-).

Just had a DML-heavy customer in an exotic country who saw 45% scaling on the third Linux node, and 0% when adding the fourth. 50% of time spent enqueue'ing. Yes, it's probably an application problem, but it's made worse by RAC. Worked better on HP/UX, they say, but they only tested a 2-node cluster there.

You cannot fix code that doesn't scale well by going RAC. On the contrary. The overhead will always be there. A 4WD will get you much further into the swamp before you're stuck. But stuck you will be sooner or later.

A fun saying that goes around in Oracle says: "Any application will run unmodified on Real Application Clusters. If it doesn't scale, it's not a real application." Respect!

Mogens

Stephen Lee wrote:

You have to watch out for those who think RAC is a synonymous with RAIB
(Redundant Array of Inexpensive Boxes).  It ain't.