The global indexes can also be partitioned - using a different partition
column or different ranges than the table partitions. The drawback with
global indexes (partitioned or not) is that they become invalid when you do
an exchange partition or drop partition. Personally I think local indexes
are better. Though in Oracle 9.2 there's an option to say alter table ...
exchange partition ... update global indexes ;

Author: Jacques Kilchoer