Hello list
I was having problems with my controlfile backups being reported as
obsolete ;
I have narrowed down the problem to the number of days specified in
the recovery window .

1. My control_file_record_keep_time=7

2. Suppose I start rman and there are no backups yet.  (This is
confirmed by the commands :
delete noprompt force backup ;
delete nopromt force copy ;
list backup ; (This shows no o/p confirming that there are no
backups )
list backup of controlfile ; (This shows no o/p confirming that there
are no backups )

3.  All the rman configuration settings are at their default values .
I did not modify any , and just to be sure I checked using 'show all
;'

4. Now I backup the database :
backup database ;

As expected it creates a single set with a single piece whose name is
in the o/p:

channel ORA_DISK_1: finished piece 1 at 21-Jun-2003 00:13:01
piece handle=D:\ORACLEXP\ORA92\DATABASE\03EQ6ARH_1_1 comment=NONE
channel ORA_DISK_1: backup set complete, elapsed time: 00:00:28
Finished backup at 21-Jun-2003 00:13:01

5.  I confirm this by using  'list backup ;' and
list backup of controlfile ;

6.  NOW THE PROBLEM IS :

RMAN> report obsolete recovery window of 1 days ;

no obsolete backups found

RMAN> report obsolete recovery window of 2 days ;

no obsolete backups found

RMAN> report obsolete recovery window of 3 days ;

Report of obsolete backups and copies
Type              Key    Completion Time    Filename/Handle
Backup Set        3   21-Jun-2003 00:12:52
Backup Piece     3   21-Jun-2003 00:12:52
D:\ORACLEXP\ORA92\DATABASE\03EQ6ARH_1_1

Why is this happening  for all values above 2 days ?
Please advise

Author: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]