I'm not sure if you want to improve the query, or the replication process.
If it's the replication process, one other option is 'refresh force'.  Then,
if I understand the docs correctly, you get a fast refresh if it can; and if
refresh fast is not possible, then refresh complete.  That's the theory.
Now whether or not it actually works that way ....

For what it's worth, I always use 'refresh force'.