MaryAnn,

the best way to understand rownum is to do the following:

SQL> SELECT ROWNUM, GENDER
  2  FROM   (SELECT ROWNUM, GENDER
  3          FROM   EMP2
  4          WHERE  ROWNUM <= 20)

You will quickly see that, no matter how you order the result set, the first
record returned is rownum #1, second is rownum #2 etc.  The rownum value is
assigned as rows are RETURNED or DISPLAYED, not as they are selected.

when you run your original query:

SQL> SELECT ROWNUM, GENDER
  2  FROM   (SELECT ROWNUM, GENDER
  3          FROM   EMP2
  4          WHERE  ROWNUM <= 20)
  5  WHERE   ROWNUM > 10;

you should *not* get any rows because the first row returned has a value of
1 - hece you get nothing.  the next row returned gets the value of 1 -
again, nothing gets shown.

just what is it you want to return in your query?

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional