Those things, and its got a much better return on investment in terms of
extensibility.  As a systems chappie, I started out writing things in
shell scripts, small C programs, etc. But I noticed that every time I
did anything that provided information (ran a report, data aggregation,
log mining, etc.), people always wanted it extended - "Oh, that's a
really neat bandwidth report, Matt.  Now could you make it into a web
application?"  "Oh, that web app is neat - could you have it page people
when the current bandwidth utilization exceeds a certain amount?", etc.
etc.  Well, a lot of those things are much harder in C or shell scripts
than they are in Perl.  So I just started writing everything in Perl if
I thought it was going to be run more than  a few times - it just makes
it much easier to grow your scripts to add functionality you never
initially anticipated.

Plus the syntax is much more flexible (read: lazier) than C, so it saves
time.  Interestingly enough, there are organizations that are starting
to decide that the perl's syntactical flexibility is a negative - look
at Yahoo's choice of PHP for its long-term application platform.  They
said, among other things, that they were concerned about enforcing
coding standards in a Perl environment.

Thanks,
Matt

--