The logon user needs to have granted "alter session" privileges directly to her, not just through a role.

At 03:54 PM 7/22/2003 -0800, you wrote:
In an attempt to catch all SQL issued by a report, I created a logon
trigger in the report's logon schema.  (As SYS, I granted the user
EXECUTE on DBMS_SESSION before creating the trigger.)  As the schema
owner, I am able to execute DBMS_SESSION.SET_SQL_TRACE interactively.

On logon, trace files are created, but they contain the following:

*** SESSION ID:(27.4739) 2003-07-22 18:52:53.000
Skipped error 604 during the execution of RPT_PERF.TRACE_ALL
*** 2003-07-22 18:52:53.000
ksedmp: internal or fatal error
ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SESSION", line 126
ORA-06512: at line 2

When SQL statements are executed in the session, no further trace information is added to the file.

Anyone know what's going on here?

TIA

=====
Paul Baumgartel