I'm sorry, but I really can't remember how an Oracle SQLPlus client is supposed
to behave when the database server's network interface is "pulled out".
We were testing a new Sun Cluster and tests for Storage FC Path Failure, Instance Failure,
Node Failure, HeartBeat failure and single Network Interface failure all went through.

However, when the engineer pulled out *both* network interfaces of the running
database server node, the SQLPlus client that had been running INSERT statements
just "hung". It did not exit or error out till we killed the job. At the next restart, of course,
it connected to the database which had already failed-over to the second node.

The question is : Why does the SQLPlus client "hang" ? Telnet sessions also might
"hang" [couldnt' test this out as the Servers are Secured and we didn't have SSH on the
client], till the user hits the ENTER key, but shouldn't SQLPlus get server disconnect
from the TCP stack ?

Hemant K Chitale Oracle 9i Database Administrator Certified Professional My personal web site is : http://hkchital.tripod.com

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Hemant K Chitale INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]