Ron,
        With an index, you also increase the amount of undo that must be generated. It
will also increase the amount of time that is required to process the load. Either of
these can increase the risk of ORA-01555.

        ORA-01555 means that the information required to reconstruct a read consistent
view of the data in question is missing. This can be for several reasons. Either the
actual undo data has been lost (overwritten or in a deallocated extent) or the link to
the data has been overwritten (transaction table entry). In terms of cause #1, is
optimal set too low for the rbs? In v$rollstat, how many extends and shrinks are you
seeing? In terms of cause #2, what is your db_block_size, how many other
transactions are running at the same time and how many rbs do you have?

Daniel Fink

"Smith, Ron L." wrote:

> That's just sidestepping the problem.  I agree it is an easy fix but
> there should be a way to diagnose and correct the problem.  I have done
> everything suggested in the Oracle papers but nothing seems to work.
> There must be something I am missing.
>
> Thanks!
> Ron

begin:vcard