Apart from when you are on the move (to/from work), or sat at home in the
evening, or at the pub, or shopping, or sat in Hooters.. How about when
you're lay in bed on a Sunday morning (we've had customers fix problems in
exactly this situation!)?

Monitors are great - we sell one! - and IMHO should be used alongside
PocketDBA, but you never can tell when you're going to get a spurious error
message and will have to investigate. The point behind the PDA tools is not
to have a "gimmicky" little hand held, or to constantly be in a reactive
mode - the point is to be able to fix a problem from anywhere, at any time,
within a minimum response time. Within true 24x7 environments I believe that
you SHOULD be able to do this - or potentially start losing money from
downtime when you can't get to your laptop. Unless of course you want to sit
inside by a PC and a land line constantly whilst you are on call.. DBAs have
lives too.. ;)

PocketDBA is not just about adding a datafile or a user either, it can be
used as a full diagnostics tool too. Perhaps you should take a look at it
before judging it - there's an online demo here:
http://demo.xb.com/xba/app..

BTW Dick, the latest version is a LOT better when viewed through a standard
desktop sized browser as well now. It's now not only a PDA tool, but is
context sensitive to desktop, PDA, laptop or tablet browsers. So you can use
at work as well if wish, or even on your laptop.

I'll get off my high horse now ;)

Mark