Some random thoughts, with examples
1) Tracks historical information to determine when a value is out of normal
range or when a value has suddenly increased.
    ex. - SQL*Net messages consume 85-95% of wait time. If this value drops to
75% or rises to 99% alarm.
          - AR_DATA tablespace is at 90%, but has been there for 180 days.

2) Offers insight into possible root causes.
    ex. - SQL*Net message count has not changed, but average wait time has
increased 25%. Possible network latency problem.
          - INVOICE_HEADER table has allocated 10 new extents in the past 5
days, which is 5000% above normal

3) Includes the latest proven optimization techniques
     ex. - Focuses on wait times and not ratios

4) Includes all events, even "idle" ones, so that the dba can decide what is
and is not important.

Daniel

Josh Collier wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> What are the characteristics of a mature monitoring scheme? I am trying to
> tighten up the monitoring at my shop. What are the things and actions which
> a mature monitoring scheme watches and does?
>
> thanks,
>
> Josh
> Author: Josh Collier

begin:vcard