Steve,

Thank you. I am grateful that someone else shrugs too.

I still get a lot of feedback about the OFA. Almost every conference I
go to, someone forgives me for writing the OFA Standard. And I leave not
knowing for sure where things went wrong.

A few weeks ago, one of the Oracle-L threads went down the trail of how
the OFA requires that you separate index and heap segments on different
disks. Bracing myself for embarrassment, I actually took the time to go
back and read the OFA Standard document again, and much to my relief, I
had not written that. (I did say that they should be stored in separate
tablespaces, and I still believe that the reasons I proposed for that
recommendation are legitimate. But where tablespaces should go on disk
is a function of your specific operational metrics, not somebody's
standards document.)

There have been a lot of "OFA" documents published by various parties
since my OFA document. I haven't read them all. Best I can figure is
that some of these authors have been more strict in their interpretation
of what I had tried to say. I tried to be *very* careful in my
specification so that the document wouldn't become irrelevant with
technology changes. I of course wouldn't have predicted all the
technology changes that have occurred since 1995, but I phrased things
as carefully as I could to allow for changes.

For example, I never said you have to name mount points "/u[0-9][0-9]".
I offered that as a good "OFA compliant" solution, but the OFA
requirement for mount point naming is very open-ended:

"Name all mount points that will hold site-specific data to match the
pattern /pm, where p is a strong constant chosen not to misrepresent the
contents of any mount point, and m is a unique fixed-length key that
distinguishes one mount point from another."

Granted, this doesn't provide for people naming their mount points after
planets or Muppets or mountain peaks, but I still believe that it's a
good idea to choose mount point names from a domain that can be
unambiguously identified with a simple regular expression.

And so on...

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com

Upcoming events:
- Performance Diagnosis 101: 10/28 Phoenix, 11/19 Sydney
- Hotsos Symposium 2004: March 7-10 Dallas
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...