I was sitting on a mountain here in Colorado, pondering Oracle
optimization and an interesting scenario crossed my feeble mind.
As I began to ponder this (I asked the resident marmot, but he
must be a SQL*Server expert...), I came up with several
questions.

Where in memory (sga or other) do the x$ constructs reside?
Some of them are 'populated' by reading file-based structures
(control file, datafile headers, undo segments). Does this
information reside in memory or is it loaded each time the x$
construct is accessed?
What happens when these x$constructs begin to consume large
amounts of memory? Is there an upper bound?

Daniel Fink
begin:vcard
n:Fink;Daniel
x-mozilla-html:FALSE