This database is 8i.

I would probably still use the package, as it does octal, hex and binary
as well as base 36 and 64.

Jared

Vladimir Begun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 10/02/2003 12:24 PM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:        Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: UNIX : script help/input

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Left pad with zeroes, take a substring, feed it to the handy-dandy
> hex/oct/bin/dec converter package - much easier.

Jared, what Oracle edition do you use? I'm asking because you might
want to consider not to use 'handy-dandy' hex/oct/bin/dec converter
package, but TO_CHAR/TO_NUMBER in case it's >= 8i -- it would work
faster.

SELECT TO_NUMBER(SUBSTR('0x0000500000AA', -6), 'FM00000X') dec
     , '0x' || TO_CHAR(170, 'FM00000X') hex
  FROM dual
/
--
Vladimir Begun
The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and

Author: Vladimir Begun
 INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services