That will work, slowly.

You might like to try something like this

insert into resource
nologging
select * from rqmt
append;

Read up on the 'append' and 'nologging' first.

Jared

Maryann Atkinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 10/16/2003 08:54 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:        Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        cc:
        Subject:        insert and commit 1000 records at a time

I have 2 tables, Rqmt and Resource, same structure.

I need to take all almost-one-million records from Rqmt and
insert them to Resource. So far this worked ok:

DECLARE
    RowCount       NUMBER        := 0;

BEGIN
    SELECT Count(*)
    INTO   RowCount
    FROM   RQMT;

    IF RowCount > 0 THEN

        INSERT INTO RESOURCE
            SELECT  Resource_Id, Classification
            FROM RQMT;

        RowCount      := SQL%RowCount;

        DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE ('TABLE Resource: '  || RowCount || ' Rows
transitioned.');
        COMMIT;
    ELSE
        DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE ('TABLE Resource is empty. No data
transitioned.');
    END IF;

    EXCEPTION
    WHEN OTHERS THEN
        Raise;
END;
/

But now I need to commit every 1000 records. Any suggestions as to
what would be the best way? I dont think ROWNUM would help here,
because it would pick the same 1000 records every time, causing
primary key violation...

thx
maa

Author: Maryann Atkinson
 INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services