Hi:

I have another problem that I have been trying to solve. I have this query
that works perfectly in 8i, but does not work in 9i. The query is

-- not working in 9i but works in 8i:
select  distinct arc.TermID, arc.ParentTermID
               from    arc
               connect by prior arc.ParentTermID=arc.TermID
               start   with arc.TermID in
                       (select  distinct to_number(Curationdetails.text)
                        from    Curationdetails, termlist
                        where   context = 3001817 and
                                CurationDetails.Text=to_char(termlist.TermID)
                        and     Curationdetails.text='3357971'
                       );

The error I got from 9i is:

ERROR at line 5:
ORA-01722: invalid number

However, The following sqls work both in 8i and 9i:

select  distinct to_number(Curationdetails.text)
from    Curationdetails, termlist
where   context = 3001817 and
        CurationDetails.Text=to_char(termlist.TermID)
and     Curationdetails.text='3357971';

select  distinct arc.TermID, arc.ParentTermID
               from    arc
               where   arc.TermID in
                       (select  distinct to_number(Curationdetails.text)
                        from    Curationdetails, termlist
                        where   context = 3001817 and
                                CurationDetails.Text=to_char(termlist.TermID)
                        and     Curationdetails.text='3357971'
                       );

select  distinct arc.TermID, arc.ParentTermID
               from    arc
               connect by prior arc.ParentTermID=arc.TermID
               start   with arc.TermID in (to_number('3357971'));

So I guess I am a bit confused. Does anyone know why the orginal query
failed in 9i?

TIA.

Guang

Author: Guang Mei