More than enough.  :)

DENNIS WILLIAMS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 11/03/2003 12:49 PM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:        Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Database Normalization

Jared - Sounds fine. Do you feel you received the information you needed?

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.

Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 1:44 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Oh, I have *tons* of data modeling books/articles.

Just needed a quick refresher for the purpose of offering explanations.

Jared

                DENNIS WILLIAMS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

11/03/2003 11:14 AM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

       To:        Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
       cc:

Jared - The book that has helped me the most is "The Data Modeling Handbook"
by Reingruber and Gregory. Their approach is to develop a best practice for
each modeling situation.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.

Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 12:34 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

List,

Doing some reading on Normalization today.  We actually have the opportunity

to create a database and app, and it's been so long since I've done this on
a real
project, a refresher was in order.

I have the annoying habit of knowing what to do with normalization, based on
past
education and experience, but having difficulty explaining it to others.
This is the kind
of thing that makes Cary Millsap nuts. ( read the book if you don't know why
)

Mladen would no doubt find this very simple.

Anyway, in the course of finding some recent web pages on this, one of the
better
was at a SQL server magazine site:
http://www.sqlmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=4887&pg=1

The reason for writing however, was to show you the worst one so far:
www.tinyurl/th7i

Basically, 'normalize unless it's inconvenient'.

Jared

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
 INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]