Jared,

I don't think that is what Tim meant. You can use something akin to the
following:

For an MTS connection/client:

MYDB_MTS.MYCOMPANY.COM = (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)
(HOST=MYHOST.MYCOMPANY.COM)(PORT=7505))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=MYSID)))

For a dedicated connection/client:

MYDB_DEDICATED.MYCOMPANY.COM = (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)
(HOST=MYHOST.MYCOMPANY.COM)(PORT=7505))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=MYSID)(SERVER=DEDI
CATED)))

The only difference is in the TNS handles and the entry they point to which
differs in content. The SERVER=DEDICATED will bypass the MTS configured
default connection.

You can do this via ONAMES too (and I know you use one!) - see
Note:1036577.6. Btw, I am currently in the UK helping with a Name Server
rollout..

John Kanagaraj
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Grace - Getting something we do NOT deserve
Mercy - NOT getting something we DO deserve
Click on 'http://www.needhim.org' for Grace and Mercy that is freely
available!

** The opinions and facts contained in this message are entirely mine and do
not reflect those of my employer or customers **

Author: John Kanagaraj