It does.  If you do a full import from a US7ASCII database into a
WE8ISO8859P1 database and you need to change the WE8ISO8859P1 database to
US7ASCII then this is the way to do it.

ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET internal_use us7ascii;

Make sure you know what you're doing.  See Metalink Doc Id 100751.996

                      Yong Huang

                      <yong321                 To:      Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      @yahoo.com>              cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject: RE: alter database character
set (Was: RE: 'internal' role and 9i)
                      ml-errors

                      11/18/2003 12:49

                      PM

                      Please respond

                      to ORACLE-L

Gopal,

In case I didn't make my message clear, I wanted to know if using that
keyword
allows us to change character set from a superset to a subset (e.g. from
UTF8
to US7ASCII). The documented command ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET <new
charset>
is only for changing from a subset to a superset. If changing to a "lower"
character set works, what's the syntax? Personally, I can't imagine how
that's
possible.

Thanks.

Yong Huang