-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 12:20 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

I don't know about a paper, but I've always made a distinction
between these types of DBAs as well.

Development DBA responsibilities:
- initial DB design
- data modelling, data dictionary creation
- naming standards, datatype standards
- sql development
- working w/ front end developers, tuning queries
- data load, legacy to current

Production DBA responsibilties:
- day to day administrative support: adding users, creating
schemas, moving objects around
- backup/recovery
- disaster recovery
- monitoring
- Troubleshooting, working with Oracle Tech Support
- Database P&T concerns: buffer pools, tablespace objects, etc.

I would NOT force developers to funnel through the DBA to create objects
in development.  What a roadblock that could be.  Instead, have the dba
be available as a resource to the developers to handle query tuning
concerns, answer SQL questions and the like.

my 2 cents.

Boss

Author: Todd Boss

Author: Boivin, Patrice J