Group,

I have just been given a project / database
where a vendor will implement a table
with a LONG RAW field in it.

Oracle manuals state clearly that this datatype
is outdated and should be replaced by BLOB,
I quoted the manuals to vendor-support, but they
will not move on this.

>From the looks of it, the table with the LR field
will become the largest table in the system, with
well over a billion records in it after the 1st yr.

My main worry is inefficiency in retrieving
records from the table, and most importantly,
I cannot partition a table with long/longraw
columns in it.

On first tests, the LRs are >1K, whereas
the record-without-LR is avg 66 bytes.
In real-life, the LR is probably bigger still.

Quesions:
 - Is there a real performance-risk ?
   Up to now, I always managed to offload LONG/BLOBs
   into separate tables or into LOB-storage clauses,
   but I see now way to do that here.
 - Given the LongRaw datatype, what are my best
   defences against (potential) performance problems.

Anyone been-there-done-that ?

Regards,

PdV
Author: Piet de Visser