-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 9:09 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Ian,

I think retention policy is new in 9i.

I purge my repository of backups that are older than 90 days (because our tape systems
rotates and reuses tapes after that time) using the "change backuppiece 330783 delete;
" command.  I run a sql script againts the rman repository looking for pieces that
satisfy this requirement.  The sql looks like this:

select 'change backuppiece bp.bp_key delete;'
from rc_backup_piece bp,rc_database db
where db.name = upper('ORACLE_SID')
and bp.db_id = db.dbid
and bp.start_time < sysdate-90