Ryan --

I agree with a lot of what you said, but there are points that I really must
disagree on.  Firstly, you should *always* study what you love, but know
that there are varying degrees of applicability to your chosen field, and
certain areas will always be more lucrative than others.  Furthermore, as
you alluded to, the most lucrative technical areas are constantly in a state
of flux.  Where VMS was more lucrative than Unix in the mid-80s, the two
switched positions in the mid-90s, and VMS is, quite unfortunately, largely
dead now.

The best thing one can do with a technical career, as you and others have
said, is to diversify; but, when one adds breadth, one often sacrifices
depth.  If, for example, you choose to diversify and become a SunOS System
Administrator or Powerbuilder programmer in addition to being an Oracle DBA,
as time goes on, you will generally wind up giving one or both short shrift
or sacrificing your free time in order to stay on top of both.  The more
additional responsibilities you add, the less depth you tend to keep.  While
you lower your exposure to vulnerability due to changes in the technical
world or the caprices of the corporate world, you may also lower your
overall value in both.  Of course, you can market it that you have a bigger
picture view of things and steer yourself career towards management; but,
again, the higher the bird's eye view you have, the further you tend to be
from the keyboard, and if the keyboard is what you love, that's what you
need to keep doing.

Now that I've been in the field for 25+ years, the best career advice I can
give is to stay on top of current trends and be willing to gain competencies
as various technologies wax and ditch areas - even of strength - as they
wane.  The other piece of advice I can give is that hot technology trends
have a fixed shelf-life before new technologies replace them; try to stay
with products that continue to evolve, or, if you are change-averse, stick
with technologies that change very slowly but have proven their staying
power (IBM, CICS, Unix).

Finally, let me share one of the philosophical cornerstones of my life.
Your life is delimited by two points in time: your moment of birth and your
moment of death; you can do with the time in between largely what you will,
and it is your use of time that defines you.  Time is only currency with
intrinsic value.  If you wind up hating what you do for a living, you will
wind up having wasted your life.

HTH,
Bambi.