> > #2. How do you determine whether your buffer cache is sized
> properly?
>
> Your application meets it's defined operational response time
> and throughput constraints.

Actually that is an interesting answer, since it doesn't answer the question
asked 'How do I know if my buffer cache is sized properly' but a much better
question which is something like 'how do I know if my application is tuned
sufficiently?', or to borrow Gaja's CTD idea 'How do I know when to stop
tuning?'. I don't know if other nations have hi-fi buffs (though I guess so)
who obsess about the quality of the interconnects, the balance of the
turntable, the merits of the pre-amp etc etc. I imagine them as conducting
'tuning' enquiries along the lines of 'how do I know if my speaker cables
are performing optimally?' when a much much better question would be 'Why am
I listening to Lionel Richie anyway?'. Asking the right questions is a key
skill for DBAs it seems to me.

Niall

Author: Niall Litchfield