it filled up the pga and then used 'swap' space on the hard drive. this filled up.

didnt realize this was a feature. yeah, I know i can 'tell' them to do it. I was
hoping to disallow it though.

> From: "Bobak, Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2003/12/29 Mon PM 01:24:25 EST
> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: large pl/sql table sucking up all memory on a server
>
> Ryan,
>
> First off, PL/SQL tables have nothing to do with the buffer cache.  The
> buffer cache is part of the SGA (shared memory) and is used to buffer
> blocks of database datafiles.  That's all that will ever be in the buffer
> cache.
>
> PL/SQL tables are memory constructs that are allocated from the PGA (process
> private memory).  When you connect to an instance, (in dedicated server mode)
> the background process on the server side that's allocated to serve your
> connection has memory associated w/ it.  That's your PGA (and UGA, for that
> matter.)
>
> The best way to deal with this is to educate the developers.  Teach them that
> the LIMIT clause is their friend.  Are you on 9i?  PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET may
> help.  I'm not sure, I've never tried that experiment on 9i.  What happens
> when PGA memory demand due to PL/SQL tables exceeds PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET?
> I'll have to try that test....
>
> Anyhow, hope that helps,
>
> -Mark
>
> PS  In the future, if this happens again, you shouldn't have to bounce the
> server.  Just kill the background process that's eating all the memory.
> When you do that, that developers session will die, and things should quickly
> return to normal.

<encoded content removed -- binaries not allowed by ListGuru>Content-Type:
application/ms-tnef;
The previous attachment was filtered out by the ListGuru mailing
software at fatcity.com because binary attachments are not appropriate
for mailing lists.  If you want a copy of the attachment which was
removed, contact the sender directly and ask for it to be sent to
you by private E-mail.

This warning is inserted into all messages containing binary
attachments which have been removed by ListGuru.  If you have questions
about this message, contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] for clarification.