We had some issues with using a TightVNC client
against vnc server v3.3.7, whereby the server process
would crash and not restart, requiring a server
reboot. So TightVNC got tossed as a client in our
environment.

Its nice to have Terminal Services enabled so that one
can attempt to restart a crashed vnc server service.
Terminal services in W2K don't fulfull a requirement
of being able to connect with svrmgrl (8.1.7) lsnrctl,
namesctl, or sqlplus over bequeath.
That is fixed in Windows 2003 Server.

I've been testing VNC v4.0 beta 4 on a server here,
and have not had any issues while using the VNC v4.0
beta 4 client. One can check the release notes here:

http://www.realvnc.com/v4/release-notes.html

I haven't benchmarked it over dialup yet, though, just
over a WAN. Its smooth and snappy, but that's only 3
hops away.

hth.

Paul

Author: Paul Drake