We're developing some schema update scripts for an in-house application, which
includes renaming an existing table, and creating a new version using the original
name.  No problem... or so I thought. :(  All seems well under OEM and SQL+, but I
have a developer who consistently gets an ORA-904 error (invalid column name) when
trying to access the new table under TOAD.

I can't think of anything weird about this table, except that the original has some
column-level grants (but not to his userid... he has select/insert/update/delete on
both tables).  I had him try exiting and restarting TOAD, in case it was caching
something relevant, but that didn't make any apparent difference.  Any idea what might
be going on?

        SQL> desc tool_request_old
         Name                    Null?    Type
         ----------------------- -------- ----------------
         TREQ_TOOLS_REQUEST_PKEY NOT NULL NUMBER(6)
         TREQ_PEOPLE_FKEY        NOT NULL NUMBER(6)
         TREQ_SUBMIT_DATE        NOT NULL DATE
         TREQ_COMPLETE_DATE               DATE
         TREQ_STATUS             NOT NULL NUMBER(6)
         TREQ_COMMENTS                    VARCHAR2(2024)
         TREQ_BYPASS_START                DATE
         TREQ_BYPASS_END                  DATE

        SQL> desc tool_request
         Name                    Null?    Type
         ----------------------- -------- ----------------
         TREQ_ID                 NOT NULL NUMBER(6)
         TREQ_PERS_ID            NOT NULL NUMBER(6)
         TREQ_STATUS_ID          NOT NULL NUMBER(6)
         TREQ_SUBMIT_TMST        NOT NULL DATE
         TREQ_BYPASS_START_TMST           DATE
         TREQ_BYPASS_END_TMST             DATE
         TREQ_COMPLETE_TMST               DATE
         TREQ_COMMENTS                    VARCHAR2(1024)

--
My employers like me, but not enough to let me speak for them.

Greg Norris
Sprint LTD Database Administration

Author: Norris, Gregory T [ITS]