--- Mauricio Vélez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello everybody
>
> I'm trying to recover a full database from a hot
> backup.
> When I execute the following instruction:
>
> SQL>  recover database using  backup  controlfile
> until cancel;
>
> Then I obtain the error ora-00331,
> This is the output:
>
> ORA-00279: change 1581950488 generated at 01/18/04
> 21:00:01 needed for thread 1
> ORA-00289: suggestion :
> C:\ORANT\ORADATA\CAMBIOS\ARCHIVE\09537.ARC
> ORA-00280: change 1581950488 for thread 1 is in
> sequence #9537
>
> Specify log: {<RET>=suggested | filename | AUTO |
> CANCEL}
> C:\ORANT\ORADATA\CAMBIOS\ARCHIVE\09537.ARC
> ORA-00331: log version 8.1.0.0.0 incompatible with
> ORACLE version 8.0.5.0.0
> ORA-00334: archived log:
> 'C:\ORANT\ORADATA\CAMBIOS\ARCHIVE\09537.ARC'
>
> ORA-01547: warning: RECOVER succeeded but OPEN
> RESETLOGS would get error below
> ORA-01195: online backup of file 1 needs more
> recovery to be consistent
> ORA-01110: data file 1:
> 'F:\ORADATA\CAMBIOS\SYSTEM01.DBF'
>

> In the Oracle Documentation The solution to the
> error ora-00331 is to recover the database using the
> old software. The problem is tha I don't have the
> old software.
> Is there a way to change the log version or what can
> I do?
>
> Regards,
> Mauricio Vélez

Mauricio,

If I read this correctly, you have started up an
instance for an 8.1.x database using 8.0.5.x binaries.

Is there some reason that you do not want to open this
hot backupset as an 8.1.x database?

Is this your own testing, or is this a recovery
secenario in production?
Do you have a support contract with Oracle Support?

There are mechanisms via which you can downgrade a
database, but I believe that you have to have the
database in a consistent state (open) prior to
downgrading it.

Is it possible that you simply have the "compatible"
parameter set to 8.0.5 (by mistake) in the init.ora
and just need to restart the instance with compatible
set to "8.1.0.0.0" and retry recovery?

It could be that simple.
Run these and report back, please.

SQL> select * from v$parameter where