Hi Terrance,
If you can get gnome running, put in an Emacspeak icon. Clicking on this
will give you Emacspeak from which you can run shell (M-x `shell' RET)
or a root shell (C-e C-r) or a terminal (M-x term); the last is not
recommended for really visually challenged people since Emacspeak
doesn't work too well in this situation.

I use gnome though not Oralux and my .xinitrc launches X windows with
gnome as window manager and emacspeak running. I do have the doggy icon
on the desktop anyway for the very rare occasion when I've gotten myself
into a tangle and have to quit emacs. I prefer this to shutting down X
by doing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, because if I quit emacs files are
auto-saved and can be recovered.
HTH,
Kalyan