Dear Aaron;
    I have two mini Phal. species that are on tree fern (javanica and gibbosa), 
but they are growing in a raft position to get the extra moisture they need. 
They are growing in a shade house with just screening and shade cloth during 
the summer and they get well water and rain water. I hope this helps...
Regards,
Nancy

To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [OGD] Plaqued phal species
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
MIME-Version: 1.0
Precedence: list
Reply-To: "the OrchidGuide Digest \(OGD\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message: 11

        While overhauling my orchidarium this evening (it's needed it for a 
year 
now), I took a closer look at some of my accessions- specifically, the 
plaqued phalaenopsis species- stuff like gibbosa, (Kingidium) minus, Phal. 
stobartiana- that sort of thing. I'm not happy with their root growth, 
except for a few plants of Phal. javanica that are doing OK.

        I'd welcome insight from other growers that raise these and other 
diminutive phal species, to see what they use- particularly with plaqued 
plants. For a few years now, I've been plaquing them with a bit of sphagnum 
between the roots and a bit of cork, but a quick survey of my plants shows 
that they're not happy with that combination. I generally grow plants that 
are exposed to alternating very wet and very dry (thanks to watering, 
followed by drying under ambient humidity), using distilled water (tap 
water is too hard) with a bit of fertilizer every now and again. Humidity 
can be very high in the early evening, and the air is probably quite dry by 
noon the next day.

        Any comments from growers that are true masochists that enjoy these 
little 
devils- please chime in as to how you grow them!

        -AJHicks
        Chandler, AZ
_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids

Reply via email to