I swore that I would never get involved in the politics of this list, but
bugger it! Australia is a close ally of the US. Indeed, we had special
forces **inside** Iraq even **before** the Gulf War 2 started.

However, an Australian citizen who wants to enter the US has to be
fingerprinted to get even a short-term visitor's visa. I cheered when
Brazil reciprocated the regulation for US citizens entering Brazil, but we
are too small a country and too close politically to the US to do the same
(this statement is a euphemism).

I've been to the US as visitor, to go to Academic Conferences, and once
on Sabbatical for 3 months. But be damned if I'll go there again while
the fingerprinting is in place and we have not introduced the same. It is
the US's right to have such a regulation (although it doesn't seem to be
in the nation's long-term interest), just as it is my right to shun
visiting or passing through the US.

Politically, Phil (yes from Australia of "Tampa" infamy)

###############################################################################
Dr Phil Diamond [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Mathematics, University of Queensland, Brisbane,AUSTRALIA 4072.
Tel +61 7 3365 3253 Fax +61 7 3365 1477
_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids

Reply via email to