Hildegard Crous stated:

"I get excellent root development on terrestrial orchids if the plants are
initially on a clear medium, (1/2 MS) and then replated onto the same 
medium
but containing charcoal. However, with the follow up replate, (charcoal 
added
to the medium), the plants lose colour, (pH drops and leaves turn white, )
probably because the charcoal has adsorbed some critical nutrients."

I wonder if you couldn't get the "darkening at the roots" effect that 
charcoal
provides without the non-specific adsorption/absorption problems by using 
an
alternate insoluble, dark pigmented carbon compound.  What I would 
tentatively
suggest for this purpose is graphite which I think (but don't know for 
sure) is
relatively inert and doesn't adsorb the way charcoal does.  How's that, 
substitute
one artists' drawing medium for another?  If you try this, and it works 
well, please
remember to credit me with the idea (in the unlikely event it turns out to 
be unique).

Best of luck,

Marquis


____________
Virus checked by Guardian Worm Killer && 
AntiVirus
Version: AVK 14.0.1408 from 14.07.2004
Virus news: 
www.guardianproducts.com
_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids

Reply via email to