Message
I am forwarding this message because it eloquently describes the exact same
problem I am also experiencing.  Does anyone have any idea what it is and how
to fix it?

Thank you in advance for you assistance.

Kind regards,

Donna

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---



2-15-04
I am revising this page with a combination of some of the original pictures
and some new ones. I hope to better show how the disease progresses. When I
first put this page together, only 2 plants had actually died. Now, several
months later, about 8 have died and several others are weeks to months away
from death. At this point, I would destroy the whole group except for the
sentimental value of one of the plants. That one is the first orchid I ever
owned and there is a certain amount of pride that I kept it alive all these
years. I'm still wishing there could be a cure.
Phals were so easy. They grew and flowered with no problem. In the late 1980s
I decided I needed more Phals. I purchased some small seedlings increasing my
Phal collection to 20. These grew up to be nice healthy flowering plants.
Though it would be easy to find ways to improve my growing conditions, the
conditions were (and still are) good enough to grow healthy Phals. Then THE
DISEASE hit. Much of the following text is what I wrote originally with
revisions where needed.


I am not new to growing these plants. All are several years old and one of
these Phals is the first orchid I ever owned, dating back to about 1975.
These are window sill plants. My other orchids spend most of their time in the
basement under HID lights. This group of 20 Phals stay upstairs where it stays
slightly warmer. I have been growing Phals in this location for just about 25
years  and the conditions have not changed. For all of these years they
remained healthy and close to spot free until July of 2002 when something
changed.

That July, during a hot dry spell, about 5 of the plants got patches of  dark
pits on one leaf. Usually it was the newest mature leaf, not the older leaves
and not on a new leaf that was still growing. Within 2 weeks, more leaves were
involved and another 5 plants were showing symptoms.  The first 5 plants were
all adjacent to each other. The next 5 to get involved were all together and
just to the side of the first ones. Obviously this was a problem that could
spread from plant to plant.

The disease never affects the newly growing leaf. It starts in the youngest
mature leaf then works its way down to the lower leaves. As the plant
declines, it stops growing new leaves and finally it becomes leafless. At this
point the roots are still alive and often completely healthy. The plant
usually sprouts out one, two or sometimes three shoots from the base. These
grow well until about the 2nd leaf stage when the disease starts again.

Things I have considered and treatments I have tried:

Mites?
This was my first thought because it was the pitting of the leaves that I
first noticed. I thought maybe some type of false spider mite since both upper
and lower surfaces get pitted. The first treatment I tried was sun oil. I
sprayed 5 times at about 7 day intervals. I sprayed the oil and covered every
exposed surface. The leaves had an oily feel and should have been very hostile
to any mite. Nothing, either good or bad, happened.
There is no evidence of mites. Tapping the leaves over a white sheet of paper
causes nothing to fall to the paper. Dragging a white piece of paper over the
affected leaves does not leave any tiny streaks from smashed mites.

Virus?
There is no virus that spreads like this.  The plants  don't  touch each
other. I have known for decades to use sterile cutting tools if  tools are
needed. There are no insects in this group of plants. I have not repotted most
of these since long before the disease started. They are now way over due but
I have no urge to repot plants that are being killed by a disease anyway. If I
find that there is a cure, I will repot them all.
Remember that 5 plants started symptoms the same week and within several
weeks, most of the plants were showing the symptoms. It's not a virus, I'm
sure.

Bacteria?
Bacteria is involved, at least sometimes. I doubt that it is the cause of the
initial pits. Once the leaves get pitted, some of them them get some black
areas that may be a bacteria invading.

Fungus?
Probably. I'm running short of other ideas. I'm still not sure how it migrated
to every Phal spread over an area about 5 feet wide. These plants are watered
by hand with very little splashing on the leaves, yet the disease spreads to
every Phal in the area.
When I  showed this page the first time, a few different people came up with
the name microfungus. People found reported cures for this disease. I did NOT
manage to try every fungicide that was mentioned. I had Physan on hand and
tried some sprays of that first. I also had Phyton 27 and I tried that next.
Two or three sprayings. My best hope was triforine (a systemic fungicide often
sold as Funginex). Before winter set in, I got in 4 or 5 sprayings of this. I
wanted to wait and see if this worked before I tried anything else. It's quite
obvious now that the disease continues in all plants that survive.


Now that I have had additional months to watch the plants, I realize that the
pitting is not usually the first symptom. My observation that the problem
almost always starts on the 2nd newest leaf still holds, but the first symptom
is a change in the internal color of the leaf. On yellow or white Phals, the
change is from green to yellow as seen in this first picture. The surfaces are
still perfect and clear at this point. The 2 spots seen may be the first pits
starting but I have the feeling they may be from something else.




This next picture is a pink flowered Phal. Phals with colors like this get
purple discolored areas within the leaf. This leaf has been affected just long
enough for the first pitting to start. Right now the pitting is barely
noticeable but will soon get much worse. This was a mature flowering plant.
The roots look bad in this picture but the disease never starts with root
problems.



Here is a leaf a little farther along. The pits are pretty obvious now.





The pits usually progress to this. Larger dead and dying areas.
Leaves with this many pits usually turn yellow and fall of in about 2 weeks.






This one, I happened to repot before I thought the new disease was going to
kill everything.
In this picture, all the leaves were killed except part of the leaf to the
left. It has managed to produce two new, small leaves. Of those 2 new leaves,
the mature one has developed the internal discoloration and is well along with
the pitting stage. As soon as the youngest leaf stops growing and matures, it
will start showing symptoms too.



After several months, all the original leaves are killed. At this point, most
of the root system is still alive and side buds sprout into new plants.




Another plant that survives only as a side sprout.  The older leaf is fully
involved now.




One more plant that has lost all the original leaves and survives only as side
sprouts. (There is a 2nd one on the right, low, coming from between the
roots.) The oldest of the leaves (far left) is showing the purple
discoloration in the leaf.




This one is different. No pits. The leaf later yellowed and fell off. This may
be the same disease or maybe not.





A view of the under side of a leaf. It turned yellow and fell off within 2
weeks.



A plant that held onto a couple of flowers as the disease hit. The
inflorescence was eventually diseased too. The black area doesn't  occur,
ever, on most plants and is probably a secondary infection.


Thanks for looking.
I would love to have a name for this disease.
A cure would be even better.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name 
of disease5.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name 
of disease3.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name 
of disease2.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name 
of Phal5.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name 
of Phal2.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name 
of Phal3.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name 
of disease1.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name 
of disease4.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name 
of Phal7.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name 
of Phal4.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name 
of Phal8.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name 
of visit.gif?us1089900552]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name 
of serv?s=76001074&t=1089900552]
_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids

Reply via email to