I experienced 1 of these phal deaths this year. First, I'll have to say that
I really don't think that the pitting and disease symptoms are connected.
They may be, but I don't think one causes the other. Now the yellowing I
think is an important factor. The plant I lost looked healthy up to the end
as far as leaf tugor, flower production, etc goes. I knocked the plant out
of the pot to see if something was wrong with the roots and they were all
yellow; firm, strong, but yellow. Apparently something was selectively
destroying the chlorophyll (my inference). The yellow pigment kept things
going although weekly. The leaves yellowed and died off from the bottom up.I
didn't save this plant. However, I noticed others nearby that were
developing the same symptoms. I immediately knocked them out of their pots
and soaked in Physan at 1Tbsp/gal for 10 min and repotted in Physan treated
mix. After a few weeks, all were looking fine and still are. New roots were
abundant on the surface and down to the bottom of the pot. I don't think a
spray of anything is going to help this problem, nor am I saying that Physan
is the "Savior". But I think a drench & soak in a fungicide with follow-up
sprays will help. Physan drench/ Dithane spray sounds good. I don't have any
todau with yellow roots or leaves. I have some, particularly seedlings of
certain strains, with leaf pitting on the newest matured leaf, but no other
problems or signs of disease. Hope this helps.

Gary
_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids

Reply via email to