Prem Subrahmanyam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spaketh thusly:

> That's a very good question...as far as I know, the only
> time that there is intervention when it comes to private
> property in the US is for federally listed endangered
> species...for awhile, Isotria medeoloides was put on this
> list, but it is my understanding that it was moved back to
> "threatened" status.  No other orchid is listed on the
> endangered list federally, although many states list
> various orchids on their own lists, depending on how
> widespread a particular orchid is in their state.

Not quite. The US Endangered Species Act (ESA) lists Platanthera leucophaea
(threatened), Platanthera praeclara (threatened), Spiranthes diluvialis (threatened),
Spiranthes parksii (endangered), and Spiranthes delitescens (endangered).

There may be more, but those are all I can remember off the top of my head.

http://ecos.fws.gov/tess_public/TESSWebpageVipListed?code=F&listings=0

Of these, I've worked with Spiranthes delitescens. It has proven to be remarkably easy
to germinate and grow from seed. We now have several hundred growing in sterile tissue
culture- probably about as many or more as exist in the wild.

Cheers,

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ