http://primera.tamu.edu/orchids/OrchidProduction.pdf

Read Dr Wang's article (that one as well as others at http://primera.tamu.edu/orchids/articles.htm) It raises more questions than it answers. To me anyway.

Nevertheless, remember the 1st rule of growing orchids 'Whatever works for you works for you'. If bark works in your hands then stay with it.

I've been researching old AOS Bulletins and have found instances of completely contrasting articles and advice, often in the same issue. So much so that I'm convinced that Gordon Dillon must have had a very weird sense of humor. No sooner do you read a well written article from Rebecca Northen on orchid culture than you turn the page and read an equally well writen article by Robert Scully stating the exact opposite of everything stated in the previous article.

So go figure.

Luckily I came across a quote from O Wesley Davidson who said that Fortunately orchids are adaptive where heat and light are concerned.

Or my own personal hero, Helen Hirsch, who wrote that after chasing culture information from one commercial grower to the next she "Came to realize that I was on my own." For me, reading those words in the Bulletin was like an epiphany. There were no rules. Only guidlines and suggestions. True liberation!

So, for all you know your Australian commercial growers may be trying to alter the phal crop, timing blooms to meet a market date by keeping heat high, light low and roots moist with moss. Something the hobbyist doesn't want to try at home. (read the article I noted above, its quite interesting in the last half)

K Barrett
N Calif, USA

Hi All.
Question on growing Phalaenopsis, species and hybrids.
Some professional nursery in Australia grow with spagnum moss and a fair
amount of heating in their nurserys.
Grow very well "but" suffer when taken into a hobby growers orchid house were
the heat is not supplied in such amount.
Other professional nursery growers use a open, 10 to 15 mm bark mix very
successfully, but not useing the same amount of heat.
Question I am asking is, is the amount of heat supplied a factor in growing
in spagnum moss succesfully. Or is it a better medium to grow Phallies in.
I have talked to both growers and each swears by his method ):-.
Reason I would like to know the difference is , myself and a few other growers
whom used spag and not a lot off heat had problems, but same Phallie in bark
seems to grow ok in lower temps.
I also find if not repotted very regulary spag brakes down after 6 to 8 months
with our tap water. Where as bark gives us no problems.

Thanks in advance

Ron Boyd in sunny NSW were we finally get 20 mm of rain.
Hope all you orchid growers in Florida have survived the storm.
Looks very bad on TV.