Phil,

Drying and pressing isn't a very desirable method of preserving flowers. You
lose all the small structures, you distort all the major ones, and you get
major shrinkage. A much more user-friendly method is to preserve flowers in
spirit. Put the flower in the bottle and add preservative spirit until it is
well covered. Labelling: you can write directly onto the outside of the
bottle with a "Zebra" pen (or similar). When you want to examine the flower,
take it out of the bottle and look at it. When finished, you put it back
till next time. You get some shrinkage (but much less than the drying
method) and you lose the colours (drying also destroys colours), but all the
fine structures are retained.

Bottles: Get some wide-mouth bottles with air-tight lids. Glass bottles are
best, unless you want the collection to be mobile, in which case plastic is
lighter and less fragile. I don't know what's available in your part of the
world, but I've found the following to be useful: (i) Re-sealable baby-food
bottles, (ii) Low-volume soft-drink bottles (iii) Medical-specimen jars (the
ones used for collecting samples of urine and other stuff). Plastic
containers: the transparent containers that films are supplied in are ideal
for most small flowers, and are available in large numbers at no cost from
your friendly local film-processing lab.

Spirit: There are several recipes for preservative spirit. I now use 60%
ethanol, 38% water and 2% glycerine. Until recently I used 50% ethanol, 48%
water and 2% glycerine, but I've found that the ethanol evaporates too
quickly from this mixture in my tropical temperatures..... extra ethanol
means my new formula has a longer shelf-life. Some recipes use FAA or
formaldehyde as a component, but I avoid them due to their toxicity and/or
irritant effect on skin. You need to check and top-up the bottles every 2-3
years because the spirit slowly evaporates, even from the best-sealed
bottles. Plastic bottles last 5-15 years before they go brittle (they'd last
longer in a cooler climate), while glass bottles last indefinitely.

Cheers,

Peter O'Byrne
Singapore

Q: Why do kids from New South Wales do so badly in exams ?