Hello Greig.

Apologies for spelling your name wrong in my last posting.

Some of the assumptions you used as a basis for your arguments in your
posting (OGD V6 #365) are very familiar to anyone who has followed Mark
Clements' and David Jones' work on Australian orchids. The problem is, they
are largely unproven. Let's have a look at them:

1) Pollinators. You said: "Are they all using the same pollinator?" and "As
for the smaller flowered compactum, one can assume that they are utilising
a smaller species of insect to effect pollination. The pollinators are
always important "

It is generally assumed that each orchid species has only one insect species
acting as a pollinator. While this has been shown to be true for a handful
of terrestrial orchids and a smaller number of epiphytes, there is no reason
to suppose it is always true. Those orchids where the "one insect"
hypothesis has been validated are, without exception (I think ... I'm sure
someone will tell if I'm wrong) those species that have really weird
insect-attractant mechanisms, eg involving pseudocopulation or collection of
pheronomes, etc.

One species of carpenter bee is known to cause pollination of several
species of large-flowered tropical Asian orchids (both species and hybrids).
Males fruitflies of several Bactrocera species are known to be attracted to
the flowers of Bulbophyllum patens ... the orchid must produce 2 different
attractants since these fruitfly species are not all attracted by the same
substances (Tan & Nishida in J. Chem. Ecol., 26,2:533-546 (2000).

Things do not look good for the "one orchid species, one insect species"
hypothesis. Consequently, my response to your question "Are they all using
the same pollinator?" would have to be "so what if they aren't ?"

2) Allopatry. You said: "the New Guinea-form and the Timor Laut-form cannot
share their DNA with the Australian forms, or each other, they live too far
away? ".

That doesn't follow, either. In the last 5 years I have found more than 12
examples of orchid species, supposedly "endemic" to New Guinea, growing
quite happily in Sulawesi. The distance between these islands is
considerable, but the orchids have crossed it. Last year I showed that
Entomophobia kinabaluensis, supposedly a narrow-band endemic confined to
Mount Kinabalu in north Borneo, is widespread and common in the Central
Sulawesi mountains. The species is probably native to Sulawesi that has
colonised a solitary outpost in Borneo ... but how did it get there ?
Several years ago I found many specimens of a Thrixspermum, supposedly
native to Vietnam and Taiwan, growing on a mountaintop in Malaysia.... that
is really moving around. Six weeks ago I found specimens of what appears to
be Chinese-Himalayan Cheirostylis species flowering happily in Sulawesi ....
ie, thousands of kilometers from "home". Geographic separation is not the
barrier we assume it to be.

True, the New Guinea-form and the Timor Laut-form cannot share their DNA
directly. But their seeds can possibly cross the gap and grow on the other
side ... then the DNA will mix freely.

3) DNA studies. You said: "DNA studies are now showing that some "species"
of mosquitos in fact comprise four genetically, absolutely distinct
species".

DNA studies on orchids tend to point in the other direction. At species
level, it is often difficult to find any consistently-reliable genetic
differences at all. At generic level, all the indications are that we'll end
up with fewer, larger genera by the time the molecular biologists have
finished.

Finally, something that is not an assumption. You said: "I see your
insistence that there be two consistently different characters as a bit
limiting."

It isn't mine. It is the taxonomic standard for botany. Traditionally, one
difference results in a rank of "variety" or "subspecies" (I grieve that
these sometimes-useful subspecific ranks are now outlawed by those who write
the rules), while 2 differences are required for a species. If you want to
challenge this, you'll have to take on some very influential people.... far
more influential than lil' ol' me.

Cheers,

Peter O'Byrne
Singapore