Steven B  who said:

>The news seemed a lot more reasonable when I went to the link that
>Peter provided and found that the report actually says the habitat
>ranges from 1000 to 3700 m.

Actually that is incorrect Steven. The Peruvian friend who sent me the link to
the
El Comercio  article, which I posted on the OGD, added in the e-mail that it
was at 3700 m. I simply passed that information on in my OGD post. I should
have realized that in the Andes one speaks not of large 1000 hectare flat
surfaces.
Sorry Steven, for making you frown.

You are correct about Sobralia altissima. It did come from Huancavelica and
was
described in 1999 by the two taxonomists you mention.. One of the two
taxonomists
told me (personal communication,)that they described a dozen or so more
new species from there.

If the  El Comercio report is accurate, then the bulk of new species is yet to
be described.

That Huancavelica was finally designated as a National Reserve is nice, but no
guarantee that its biodiversity will be preserved. "Remoteness" and "hard to
get to,"
are far more assuring.

For those of you who missed it, allow me to repeat  what one Peruvian friend
told me re traveling to Huancavelica:

"When I lecture I always ask people if they have been to Jackson Hole,
Wyoming. There you have an unbelievable view of the Grand Tetons.
I always say look at that and imagine that the habitat is on the other side.
You take the bus until the bus breaks. Then you take the Jeep until the
Jeep breaks. Then you take the horse until the horse dies.
Then you take the mule until the mule dies. Then you walk up the mountain
for 10 hours the first day and only 6 hours the second day.
That is one isolated habitat for us gringos."