I can't comment on sources of this orchid outside Australia but I can vouch
that it is generally a difficult orchid to grow. Like its compatriot,
Cymbidium suave, C. canaliculatum is generally found growing on trees -
often dead where the root system will grow extensively into the rotting
heartwood of the host. From this it derives its food & moisture. It grows
mainly inland in dry forests and in fairly exposed situations.

It tends to be very water sensitive - you need to grow it fairly dry,
especially in winter. Watering in winter will almost guarantee death of the
plant. It also has high light requirements and intermediate temperatues. It
can grow cool as long as its water sensitivity is observed and kept
waterless over winter.

One grower in Australia advocates changing the potting medium every other
year as his method for success in keeping it going.

Cheers...Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: michael timmons [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Sent: Monday, 11 October 2004 7:53 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [OGD] Cymbidium canaliculatum

Does anyone know where I can purchase a Cymbidium canaliculatum? Found
several places in Australia that export to the USA; however, the price of
paperwork and shipping is prohibitively expensive. I'd be interested in
hearing from any growers who also might either have this plant for sale or
have information regarding its ease (or difficulty) of culture. Thank you!
_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids

Reply via email to